The Difference Between BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dermal Fillers
The skin on your face begins to age due to decreased collagen production, sun exposure, lifestyle choices, and many other factors. Volume loss and facial movements cause creases, folds, and wrinkles that can have a negative effect on your confidence. If you are looking for a way to correct signs of aging without surgery, injectable treatments may be a good choice.
Neurotoxins, such as BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport®, are used to smooth out dynamic wrinkles, meaning wrinkles that are caused by muscle movements. Facial expressions create creases like crow’s feet and frown lines, which get deeper and more permanent as time passes.
Neurotoxins are derived from botulinum toxin A. These injectable products temporarily immobilize the facial muscles that are responsible for dynamic fine lines and wrinkles.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic can be used to soften horizontal forehead lines, crow’s feet, and vertical frown lines between the eyebrows.
- Dysport® is similar to BOTOX® Cosmetic and is used to treat glabellar lines (lines between the brows).
It is recommended that you avoid strenuous activities for 24 hours after your injection, but you can return to your regular schedule as soon as treatment is over. You can expect your results to last for three to six months.
Dermal fillers are used to add or restore volume to areas that have lost fullness due to age. At The Medical Skin Clinic, we offer several formulations to treat specific areas of the face and hands. Most fillers contain hyaluronic acid (HA), which is a substance produced by the body that helps skin stay hydrated and youthful.
- JUVÉDERM® XC treats moderate to severe wrinkles and folds in the face.
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC was created to add volume to the lips and to treat lines around the mouth.
- JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ XC is used to fill deep creases, such as nasolabial folds, by adding volume.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC restores volume to cheeks, making them look less gaunt and more youthful.
- BELOTERO BALANCE® softens nasolabial folds, chin wrinkles, vertical lip lines (smoker’s lines), smile lines (parentheses), and lines around the corners of the mouth.
- RADIESSE® is not made with hyaluronic acid. Instead, it is a gel that contains microspheres of calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA) The gel adds volume immediately and also stimulates collagen production for long-lasting results.
The recovery time after dermal filler injections is minimal, with any swelling or bruising resolving within about a week. The longevity of your results will vary depending on the formulation used but can last for up to two years.
Dermal filler and neurotoxin injections can be combined to provide you with optimal results. A detailed, customized treatment plan will be created during your consultation to give you minimally invasive, natural-looking facial rejuvenation.